|Accessibility||| Contact us||| Newsletter||| Downloads||(0)|
- Beginning of the rue Lafayette, on the end near the rue de la République : curtain and semi-cylindrical tower section.
- Hôtel de Lesdiguières, on the side of the rue Hector Berlioz : Base of the treasury tower, old wall tower.
- Jardin de Ville : two sections of the curtain, including one surmounted by Stendhal's grandfather's trellis.
- Basement of the museum of the old bishop's palace in the archeological area : semi-cylindrical tower, curtain, postern, and foundation of the Viennoise entraceway tower (former Hercules gateway).
- Chevet of the Notre Dame cathedral : curtain and wall tower.
Diocletian and Maximian (from 286 to 293), the Roman-Gallo wall mesured almot 1.5 km in length, had 39 semi-cylindrical towers, and 2 gateways. It protected an urban surface of 9 hectares, playing the role of both protective wall and status symbol.
Its construction signalled the new status of "civitas" that Diocletian had just given the city, thus marking it as an administrative capital.
The construction of the wall was very carefully carried out. The largest part, around 4 meters thick, was made of limestone rock, pebble, and tuileau rubble held together with very hard mortar.
A remarkable bonding made of small carefully extracted limestone blocks makes up the facing wall. This wall was covered with plaster. In the city, only the stone bonding remains today. The carved stones of the facing wall disappeared during the various expansion phases of the city, as they were carried off and reused by the city's inhabitants.
This situation, which prevented the city guards from circulating along the entire rampart, made it necessary to build a rounds walkway at the top of the cathedra apse.
Built of brick in the 14th century, arrow loopholes pierce the walkway.
Keeping in time with the changes in artillery, and notably the invention of the musket, the arrow loopholes were themselves modified in the 16th century, when circular shaped gun holes were added.
This massive, rectangular-shaped construction, topped with a machicolation, remains above all a defensive structure with a very rudimentary design.
It didn't take long for the City Council to begin holding meetings here and the municipal archives soon came to be stored here, including the famous book of chains.
This was the book in which all of the city of Grenoble's charters, liberties, privileges, and rights were recorded. It was attached to the wall by an iron chain in order to prevent its theft. The Island Tower was thus in a way the first city hall.
the Duke of Lesdiguières arrived in Grenoble in 1591, he requisitioned the tower, transformed it into an arsenal, and built a military citadel around it. Nearby, two sections of the military wall still exist, featuring short arrow loopholes and an elegant overhanging turret on the corner of the wall at Jongkind quai and Lavalette square. It was at this time that the first flat-mullion windows, which are still visible today, were constructed.
Since 1994, the tower has been linked to the museum of Grenoble, of which the tower is an extension.
It regularly hosts temporary exhibitions.
The Gateway to France, one of the entrances into the city, was completed in 1620, was the last to be built and was one of the most ornate.
Jacob Richier, Lesdiguières' favorite sculptor, takes credit for the bas reliefs on the exterior facade, which depict various military trophies.
The inner façade, on the city side, is much more sober.
The passage beneath the gateway, which used to be an entrance into the city, now houses the veterans' monument of the City of Grenoble.
This structure was classified in 1925.
Integrated into the new fortifications built towards 1830 by general Haxo, the gateway saved from destruction in the second half of the 19th century by the construction of the Isere quais which absorbed traffic along the river. The Saint Laurent gateway remains a great example of 17th century defensive architecture. In this regard, the exterior façade, on the side of La Tronche, is the most interesting. We can still see the machicolation that protects the vaulted passage and the two brattices designed to protect the pedestrian doorways.
The Saint Laurent Gateway is also the only to have conserved its heavy wooded doorways, dating from the 19th century.
Until 1864, the city gateways were closed from 10p.m. to 7 a.m. The Saint Laurent gateway, however, opened at 5 a.m.
The structure was registered in 1931.
Vauban never got the chance to build the imposing fortifications that he had planned for Grenoble, he did manage to construct two gun powder stores, of which one still exists today.
Construction on the eastern powder store began in 1698 in the center of the former Morges bastion. This gun powder store was mainly a vast storage room protected by very thick walls.
While the lateral facades, with their massive buttresses, are original, the main façade was modified in the 19th century by General Haxo.
A high wall was built just in front of the facade, with its entrance diagonally placed in relation to the entrance of the powder store. This was to create a security area and to avoid a direct entrance way into the powder store.
The structure was registered in 1973.
Several vestiges of these 19th century fortifications are still visible in the eastern parts of the city:
- Along Michallon park, several sections of the surrounding wall are preserved. The rampart stretches all the way to the Isere, crossing through the buildings of the museum of Grenoble, which encompass it.
- Further south, and entire bastion is preserved and it goes all the way to the former Très-Cloître gateway. The northern part of this gatewas is also still visible on the side of the rue Malakoff. Built around 1840, the Très-Cloître gateway was modified at the end of the 19th century. The passage way was enlarged and metal grills replaced the old wooden doors.
François Delarue, a Parisian architect, designed a superb building which was a veritable copy of a 18th century townhouse.
The honor stairway leads to the second floor where the grand salon is decorated with beautiful Louis XV style.
The dining room features one of the rare and precious neo-Pompeian decors in the Rhone-Alps region.
A garden, decorated with a neo-Baroque fountain, is located behind the building.
They completed the city's defensive system and stretched from the Bastille to the Drac river, on the northwest side of Grenoble.
Several sections of the curtain with a small guard post are preserved on the Route de Lyon side and further on, a part of the gateway tot he city on the Rue de la Résistance.